Thursday, April 19, 2012

My statement on - Is a National Donor Registry the answer?

April 19th, 2012
My statement towards this issue-
Is a National Donor Registry the answer?
If you would have asked me this question 20 years ago my answer would have been an emphatic” YES!”
I would have done like so many others out there today, that believe this is the answer to the donor crisis. I like others, would also lobby the government for a National Donor Registry
My answer was yes, that is until my daughter Tasha asked me to donate her organs and tissues and educate myself as well as others on this subject.
My answer was yes until I had to deal with a donor registry. [(Please Note – I cannot discuss what transpired unless I have legal representation.)
I will also not discuss this issue, until I am able to present this matter to our National political representatives and Provincial representatives from Alberta and BC. The reason for this is that, they need to have an opportunity to address this matter.]
What can I tell you?
That I started to educate myself on this subject after my daughter became a donor and I started this education process a week after her funeral.
That have met our daughter’s heart recipient and some of what has transpired between us.
That I have addressed this issue in many ways over these past 20 years and have discussed donation with fellow Canadians.
In how many ways, you may ask, have I approached this subject?
I have spoken in public forums, joined the Kidney Foundations speakers bureau, held a conference for the public by the public, distributed in total over 40,000 stickers and 10,000 brochures at, local, provincial, national and international events, sat on a local health council, joined Victim Services, became a member of the CTA – the organization that hosts the National Transplant Games and finally, I am now asking Canadians to set a world record for the longest banner in the world for organ & tissue donation.

After all of this and all of these years, what changed my mind?
Why is it that today my answer is and emphatic “NO!”
It is due to all that I have learnt about the donation process in Canada and in part due to my personal dealings with a donor registry.
I want to finish by saying that, there is hope for Canada and those waiting for transplants.
I believe that once issues surrounding the donation process have been dealt with, that Canada can be a country that others will look up to when it comes to the question of organ & tissue donation and the donation process.
Until that time I ask that, you talk to your family about donation and educated yourself on this subject.
Why may you ask? - Because others are suffering and dying needlessly.

Sincerely yours,
Maria Stranaghan.

Cc
MLA Frank Oberle
National Health Minister – Leona Aglukkaq PC.MP
Horne, Fred, Honourable
Minister of Health and Wellness
Member of Executive Council
MP Mr. Warkentin

No comments:

Post a Comment