Monday, April 23, 2012

A donor wish story - #1 Peace River

After Tahsa became an organ & tissue donor, people started coming to me, letting me know how their loved ones also had the donor wish.

The little girl in this story was one of my second daughters  best friends.

It was so hard to see my Crystal loose her friend Rose especially when she was still reeling from the death of her older sister Tasha.

How do you comfort a child in a case like this?

When I sat there struggling with these emotions Crystal came home from school one day, to tell me that her friend had also wanted to be a donor - and she was so proud of that.

How do you survive at a time like this?

At a time like this you count every little blessing that you can, holding on to the belief that something good and positive happened even if it was only a wish to help others.

So now I share with you the first donor wish story that I was told by a mom that was just as proud as I was, that her daughter also wanted to help others. 

Take care and God bless,

Maria  


The Story of Rose -

Rosemarie Jane Lizotte-Briscoe

September 16, 1983 – December 11, 1994

My daughter, Rose, and I had a very ‘enlightening’ conversation in the summer of 1992. It was a quiet lazy evening and as usual we were watching T.V. I momentarily left the room and when I returned Rose had a questionable look on her face. She proceeded to ask “how do I donate my organs when I die?” I thought this was quite an unusual question for a nine year old to be asking. I looked at her and asked her “why?” “Well I just seen a T.V. commercial to sign the back of your driver’s license if you would like your organs donated, but I’m too young to drive” she replied. I asked “is this what you want?” She quickly answered “yes”. I assured Rose her wish would be known.

Our daughter died two years later and unfortunately the disease that took her life we were unable to fulfill her wish as none of her organs were salvageable. I would of never considered donating her organs in the first place if she hadn’t discussed this years earlier.

May be we should all consider having this conversation with our children. Death is a part of life and so should organ donation to promote life in others.

No comments:

Post a Comment