Saturday, April 6, 2013

One month to go - Working with students and community.

Well my friends -
Our day will soon be here!
So much has happened this year already and I'm not getting much sleep lately --- but I know once we are done I will be able to get some rest.
Because of what we are doing, I was invited to speak about our event at one of our local schools.
So with everything else, I haven’t had much time to be at my computer to do much writing.
Working with students.
These past few weeks I have volunteered my services at my former high school. It’s been quite the thing, to be able to share my experiences over these past 20 years, all the while, hoping to inspire students in a leadership and volunteerism class.
This weeks Plans
The students will be back from Easter Break so I will be back at the schools picking up banner segments and sending information about the information booth at our local trade show, the Banner Rally and information session on April 21st and our Gift of Life Banner Parade on May 5th.  
The plans for promotion with the students this week is, a scavenger hunt with grade nine Glenmary students that have been working on banner segments.
It’s been quit the experience for us all and it’s been great to have them working this semester for the cause of organ & tissue donation.
The next step for the students is to go out in the community to promote the cause and what they are doing to be a part of it.
I have planned a Gift of Life Scavenger Hunt for them and part of this hunt will include promoting our Gift of Life Banner Volunteer Rally on April 21st and our Gift of Life Banner Parade on May 5th.

Great things are happening
Our local Chamber of Commerce donated a booth ($500 value) at the Spring Trade Show. Community businesses have also offered to help out with promoting our event with patrons
Prizes have also been donated to help fundraise for the Gift of Life memorial site and prizes have been given for a free gift draw for students. Prizes have also been donated for free gift draw for our Gift of Life events volunteers. (And we have some great prizes!! - I will list them at a.s.a.p.)
 Through all of this there are still banners to be collected and sewn together and everything else that comes with that.
Like I said I’m not getting much sleep but I know it’s all worth the effort that I’m putting into this.
I know that I’ll never regret the time, money or effort that I have put in. One of the things that I say to others is, “If there ever comes a day, when someone that I love needs a transplant, no matter what, I know that I have already given my all to help save their life.”
Take care, God bless and have a great day.
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment