Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Pledge to my Community

Responding to a Call for ActionA Three-in-One Challenge & Pledge
By Maria Stranaghan
Dare to Dream Challenge:

1.    I will distribute 1 kilometer of banner material to local and regional schools wishing to participate in the Parade of Banners & the Guinness World Book attempt for the longest banner in the world.

2.    The school that in PR that has the most* banners made before Christmas break will be able to dye my hair green for Christmas. (My hair will stay green until the Parade of Banners on May 5th 2013) – Green for the cause of Organ & Tissue Donation


The dye is waiting & I'm ready to go !!


a.    (*The winner will be determined by the ratio of banners for number of students and staff in the school)

3.    . For Love and Marrow Challenge (for the Community of Peace River AB)

a.    To have, by May 5, 2013, 365 community members sign up with Canadian Blood Services as bone marrow donors.

b.    If our community meets this challenge – someone in the community can shave my head for the cause and then autograph it (with signatures or messages, such as “Peace River Rocks!)

4.    Banner challenge participants  may also autograph my head at this time:

a.    The school, team, community members for the Parade of Banners, that provide the most banners, come the furthest distance and

b.      The team and/or individual from outside of our community, with the most banners from his or her province etc. This individual or team will also take home the first hand-painted banner which I made for the NOTDAW Dare to Dream launch.
 On A Personal Note-
Recently I was asked this this question – “Are you CRAZY?!”
My response is, “Sometimes getting crazy is what it takes to bring about a positive change, I don’t expect others to get crazy with me, but they are welcome to do so.”
During the Christmas season in 1992 - I made a promise to my eldest daughter Tasha that I would help to educate on the subject of organ and tissue donation. After her death in 1993, I made a vow to myself and to God, that I would do everything in my power to fulfill that wish.
The Love and Marrow Challenge grew from having both a family member and a family friend that suffer from Leukemia
Important Note –
No one else is expected to dye their hair green and or shave their head, but I will surely appreciate the support of everyone else while I do these things in order to draw attention to the need for organ and tissue donation in our country.

Maria Stranaghan
Donor Mom, 1993
Box 6091 Peace River AB
T8S 1S1
Phone 780- 624 4337

For more information:
World’s Longest Banner for Organ & Tissue Donation on Face book,
World’s Longest Banner, my story on BlogSpot
 Twitter at longestbanner20 –
www.worldslongestbanner.org  – (will be up and running asap).

No comments:

Post a Comment