Saturday, March 24, 2012

One Year Ago - Town meeting

One year ago - Town meeting, asking for path to be dedicated to the cause.


Looking back it's hard to believe that it was just a year ago that I was getting ready to go to a town meeting to ask our town council if they could dedicate a part of the walking path in Peace River for the cause of organ and tissue donation.


During this time, I was also in a wheelchair due to shattering my ankle and breaking my leg on Feb 4th - after this happened, the doctors had to repair the damage done by putting in 2 plates, 12 pins, 5 screws and 36 staples. So the thought of going to a meeting was a bit daunting.


When I asked if there was a wheelchair access for me to attend the meeting, I was told no, therefore I had a bit of dilemma.

Should I go, would it be wise for me to go and how could I manage getting up those stairs to the town chamber? The answer was that I would have to crawl up those stairs!


The thought came to mind that crawling up stairs could be a bit embarrassing but if crawling is what I had to do then crawl I would!


First I had to call my dear friend Julie to ask her if she would drive me to the town meeting.


When we arrived she had to push my wheelchair through the piles snow to the town hall.When we got through the first set of doors, I started to crawled up those darn stairs while she carried my wheelchair.  (Yup, I must say that, I have some darn nice friends :-)

That being said I'm not sure which one of us had a more difficult time, me crawling or Julie carrying that darn chair behind me. (I have to chuckle, when I think of this.)


When I got through the doors the meeting was already in process and I went into the meeting on my knees!


Thus started this part of my journey that leads to the banner.


Maria.

No comments:

Post a Comment