Friday, May 25, 2012

CTV - Canada A.M. be a donor - How things have changed!


Donors and recipients get together to discuss organ & tissue donation in Canada. 

MEMORIES
This newscast brought back more than a few memories and I have to sit back and smile when I think of how some things have changed over these past years.

  • I now think back to the time of when we first became a donor family in May of 1993.

  • I recall how I went to our local paper asking them to share our good news and how I was told by the editor at that time that it couldn't be done. This editor had stated that, it was considered to much of a controversial subject for them to cover.
  • I remember how shocked I was and wondered how a person moves on when people have this kind of attitude.
  • I also remember how it took 6 years to find a local reporter to do a story about Tasha's Wish and how grateful I was at that time.
  • Since that time, as I did move on things did get better and I now think of how our local media has done such a spectacular job in promoting this cause.

  • As the years went by and as I struggled to fulfill Tasha's wish that I educate myself as others on this subject I remember all the ups and downs.

  • I remember all the wonderful individuals that we have met and I especially remember all of those that gave us a helping hand.

Now I see what is happening today and I think of how more and more people are opening their minds and hearts on the subject of donation.
With all of this I hope that the respect of individual choices should never be forgotten, I pray that we all keep in mind that there are those that aren't comfortable in discussing this subject, and we need to make sure that they are respected.

With all that I have learnt over these past years I believe that Canada can be a leader in this cause and that they can do it by respecting the wishes of all, without taking away the rights of any of our fellow Canadians.

God bless and take care.
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment